Thursday, August 22, 2013

Mango Lassi


I cannot believe that summer was two weeks over for my children and only yesterday that we ate mango. It feels like they missed summer. In my native country, mangoes are usually the kickoff  of summer.When I went to the Asian store, I saw some mangoes that were on sale so I grabbed it right away and purchased it. My family was delighted to see a box of mango that were sitting on the counter. They relished the fruit intermittently until 10 PM, yet there were still a lot of leftover. 


The mangoes were over ripe so I made sure that I have to do something about it. I looked at my pantry and saw Knox gelatin and condensed milk . I have to make something that is reminiscent of summer. I made popsicle and my version of mango lassi. It turned out great, and the aroma of this refreshment is a reminder of my country - Philippines.


When I was in the Philippines, mangoes were abundant during the summer. I remember making different menus with mango. There was mango cake, mango shake, mango fridge cake, halo-halo,  etc. How I miss my country. It has been 12 years now, and I have never been home. I heard it has changed a lot. I always miss the sea. I lived close to the beach in Cebu City before and I did not really take advantage of the beautiful beaches it offered because I was scared I will turn dark skinned. You see, when I was in the Philippines, white skinned are considered beautiful, so I never go to beaches for fear that I will turn really dark. How I regret that. Now, I just imagine frolicking and playing with the white sand and simply relax on the splashing waves. My children had not experience running in a big ocean with white and salty sand yet  so for sure when they visit there, they will have blast.


Ingredients :

1 packet of Knox gelatin
1 cup cold milk plus 1 cup hot milk
2 tbsp condensed milk
1 cup mango
Handful of avocado - optional

Direction:
Put the knox and the cold milk in the blender and mix thoroughly with a spoon until totally incorporated.
Add the mango. Leave some for garnish later.
Blend.
Heat the other cup of milk . You can heat it for 2 minutes in microwave then add in to the blender with the Knox mixture.
Pour into a glass and let it set for 3 hours.

Serve and Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment