Sunday, August 11, 2013

Blackberry Crumble Cake

To do more for the world than the world does for you – that is success.
-Henry Ford


Last week, we went to a U-pick your own orchard in Northeast Kansas. It was not a bad drive at all. It only took us an hour and half to get there. We were also blessed with little drizzle and the cloud was covering the sun so it was a perfect day to pick organic fruit. In this time of year, early August, blackberries were at its peak, so I was fully aware that is what we were going to get. At the back of my mind however, I was hoping that the owner will let us sneak in some apples. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to, so I am looking forward tis late August or early September to pick apples and peaches.

The orchard was not big at all compared to the places we went before, but this place actually yielded a decent amount of blackberries. When I saw the place, I was getting so excited. There was a giddy feeling of joy having to pick my own food rather than pick it directly in the supermarket. As I was picking, I imagined myself as a farmer and I just savored the moment of peace and quiet. I actually had the look of the farmer, since I just rolled out to bed and get in the car that morning - due to excitement to pick my own organic food.

We were able to get a decent amount of blackberries, 4 lbs to be exact, and now the dilemma began - what am I going to do with it? Well, there are actually gazillion ways on how to make use of blackberries and I opted to make this blackberry crumble.This is the first time I made this but I was not disappointed because it was really good. By the middle of the week, I am going to make blackberry pie and just freeze the rest for future use. I can make blackberry crepe' for breakfast, maybe. So here it goes. Please check the Photograph page to see the other pictures of the place.






Ingredients :

1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup self-rising flour
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 cups frozen blackberries

Preparation

  1. Whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk just until blended; whisk in melted butter. Pour batter into a lightly greased 12- x 8-inch baking dish; sprinkle blackberries and remaining 1/4 cup sugar evenly over batter.
  2. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown and bubbly.
  3. Note: This recipe is adapted from Southern Living

No comments:

Post a Comment