Sunday, September 8, 2013

Raspberry Cake



I have this favorite blogger named Tim. He is the author of the famous food blog site Lottie + Doof . He is just an amazing writer that you will always find me holed in his blog for a long time. I hope I can be a writer like him. He had won 2012 Saveur' blogger of the year and has become a freelance writer because of his blog. So, in my opinion, he is the man. If I can become half of a good writer as he is, I am a fortunate woman. But that is another story to tell.


When I was reading one of his blog from way back, I stumbled on this recipe. I am so excited to make this because it looks very doable. I think this will also be great for my husband's morning coffee. I listed down all the ingredients then armed myself with my debit card, and off I go tot the market. Everything in the recipe was available except the apricot. What? Then how should I make this? I was battling between just skipping the apricot or should I go ahead and just substitute it for peaches. I am not sure, but I saw this different kind of fruit that looks like an apricot but not really. And it is trying to coat itself to become a plum too. It is called - Pluot. I know, it is very strange name.I have to remember what it is called. Good thing I asked the cashier what it is and she said, it is "Plee- Cot." Boy, I had trouble hearing it and saying it, so she said, "It is an apricot and plums combined." When I was writing this article, I searched Google images under "fruit between plums and apricot" and there it showed the tricky name of this fruit. I also tried to looked up how to say it, but Merriam Online did not have it. So I will just settle saying it as Plu- ut or not say it at all or else I will sound dumb and stupid. So, this little pretty thing - Pluot is from the hybrid of apricot and plums. And I decided to substitute the apricots with this.


Going back to the topic.I geared myself to make the cake and everything is settled. I used 12 TB of butter and I cup of sugar instead of 1 cup minus and 3/4 cup of butter. I used my food processor to ground the almond and I am ready to roll. I baked it for 1 hour. Each oven are different though, so the toothpick test is the best for this. I am not sure if the Pluot caused it, but the cake feels soggy when I removed it from the oven, yet I tell you, it is very good. The ground almond made this cake so yummy. And it is better also the next day. As I am writing this, my husband is eating it for snacks.So please try it.


Raspberry Cake

12 TB butter 
1 cup sugar
2 Pluot
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup self rising flour
1 cup ground almond
2 TB milk
1 1/2 cup raspberry

Direction:

Line bottom of 8" pan with parchment paper
Mix ground almond into the flour
Pit and slice Pluot.Wash raspberry and set aside.
Preheat oven at 350
Place the butter and sugar in the stand mixer until pale and fluffy.
Scramble egg in a small bowl  and slowly add into the sugar mixture. Beat at slow for 2 minutes.
Add in the flour mixture in 2 batches.
Add milk and hand mix.
Fold in the raspberry and the pluots
Bake for 1 hour or test it with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, then it is done.

Note: If you try to transfer it on a tray, wait until the cake cools down so that the cake will not break into half.




No comments:

Post a Comment