Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Rellenong Manok Stuffed Chicken for Christmas or Thanksgiving Filipino Roasted Chicken




When I was in the Philippines, I did not really hear about Rellenong Manok. I only heard its fish counterpart which is Rellenong Bangus. So when I saw this recipe in Adora's Box, I was curious and got myself into " baking mode." The most difficult part of this meal is the deboning of the chicken. It is not actually that difficult when I thought about it, it just get messy and when you have 3 people clamoring for their  food to get done, it gets frustrating. 

I cut the chicken through the back using a sharp knife. I think using a kitchen scissor is the  easier way to go but since I cannot find my kitchen scissor, I just had to make do of the knife. I had some croutons in my freezer so I used that as stuffing base  instead of the bread crumbs. Actually, I changed the recipe on whatever I got in my pantry.



I did not really have much idea what a chorizo was, so I presumed it is a Chinese sausage- which is easily accessible in our Asian market. I used Bratwurst sausage to add more taste in the stuffing. I brined the chicken for 4 hours and when we arrived from church, I started working on getting done with the meal. 


The stuffing was different from the stuffing they have here in the US. It had a very authentic Filipino taste. Remember our Filipino dishes, they always have different taste in each meal, this accomplished that. This will be a subject of discussion in your dinner table, because it is deliciously unique. The additional raisin in the stuffing made the stuffing hard to forget. The Chinese sausage tied all the taste into very well laid out combo of sweetness and saltiness. A week after tasting this meal, you will be thinking, "How did I thatt symphony of tastes came about?" It will stir curiosity on you taste buds. For me, at least. I say this is worth the time and effort you put into it. This meal is so delicious! 









Rellenong Manok

2 cups crush/ ground Crouton ( I used garlic flavor in mine)
2 bratwurst sausage (slice into small pieces)
2 Chinese style sausage (slice into small pieces)
2 stalk celery ( minced)
1/3 cup figs or raisins
7 cloves garlic ( crushed)
1 small onion
3 tbsp cooking oil
3 boiled egg
1 whole chicken deboned

Chicken Preparation:

Using a scissor or a knife cut the chicken at the back . Debone chicken. I found that it was easier to slice the chicken at the back. Leave the thigh and wing bones.This will give shape to the chicken.
Let the chicken brine in the ref for 4 hours or more.
When ready to cook, drain the brined chicken and dry with a kitchen towel or paper towel to remove excess water.

For the stuffing preparation:

Place the oil, garlic and onion in a large bowl and  microwave for 3 minutes
Add in ingredients 1 to 5 and mix thoroughly .Cover and leave in the refrigerator for an hour or two.

Boil the egg and remove the shell. Set aside.

When Ready to Cook:

Place the stuffing on the chicken. And place the boiled egg on top.

Suture the chicken or use a skewer to seal the chicken and wrap it in a tin foil.

Bake at 325 for an hour then change oven setting to 350 and bake for another 1 1/2 hour or until meat temperature says 190

Serve and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment