Sunday, September 22, 2013

Almost Oreo Cookies

One reason we should pray: it is because God can do  more in a second  than what we can do for ourselves in a lifetime




I am doing happy dance right now


Good news ya' alll!! 

I weighed myself and I lost another four pounds!!!! Yipeeeeeeeee! with a happy dance. Gosh, I worked so hard for this and I am just glad that finally, the hard work is showing good results. I am surprised that despite my effort for the last  6 months, I did not really notice significant weight loss until I was in my third month of exercising and eating well. I now fit in my old jeans. I am so excited!


Hard work really does pay off! 


To celebrate this progress, I am going to eat cookies! You heard me right. I am going to eat cookies. Not a whole lot, but still cookies. I deserve to eat them. 

I am not a very big fan of cookies because I heard they contain tons of calories. So I eat  cookies once in a while. I try not to bring in any cookies in my house as much as I could. This year for example, I only bought one pack of cookies just once. For that one time opportunity, I bought Oreo cookies because I loved that cookie so much! 


It has been two weeks now and those Oreo cookies were long gone, and I do not want to buy one anymore. So, I am making my own version of Oreo cookies. I am making a cookie that does not make me feel guilty of cooking and eating it. This is a vegan kind. Instead of the usual butter, I used coconut butter. Coconut butter contains healthier fat compared to that butter we usually used for cookies. I used Spelt Flour and agave nectar to sweeten it. Though you may get the discourage of the coconut butter's and Spelt Flour's price, I tell you,  this recipe yielded lots of cookies and you can use this particular ingredients for incoming recipes I am going to use. So do not lose heart.





I got this recipe from Chocolate covered cake and I decided to try this. It turned out great . Although it does not have the Oreo logo at the front but this surely is pretty close to Oreo taste. I am not sure if I can confidently say it taste like Oreo, but I can assure you it is a good cookie. When I made this, the mixture was crumbly. I got worried how  I will flatten it onto the surface. It was crumbly that  it felt like it was not gonna form a circle  form, but I stuck to it and I used a parchment paper so that the dough will not stick to the rolling pin. Also, the filling was difficult to spread with the use of spoon so I used my finger/hand to spread the filling. I just thought it will not break the cookie dough when you do this.



  1. 3/4 cup spelt flour
  2. 1/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa natural Unsweetened
  3. 1/4 cup sugar
  4. 1/4 tsp baking soda
  5. 1 tsp pure vanilla extract ( I used imitation )
  6. 1/4 cup canola oil
  7. 3 tbsp silk soy milk chocolate flavor
  8. 2 tbsp agave syrup

Filling:

1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut butter (melted)

Grease/ Brush a cookie sheet. Set aside.

Mix 1 to 4 ingredients in a large bowl and whisk using to combine. Form a well in the middle and set aside.
Put ingredients 5 to 8 in a small bowl and mix completely. Add into the flour mixture and combine and mix thoroughly using your hands. The mixture will feel crumbly and smushy. Form the dough into a ball and place it into a ziploc and refregirate for 30 minutes.

Remove dough from bag and roll into a thin dough. I had trouble rolling the dough into flat because it was crumbly and it stuck on the rolling pin, so I put parchment paper on the dough and work my way on flattening it. Then I used biscuit cutter to form circles. You can use circle shape lid for this also.

For the Filling:

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Make sure that coconut butter is melted. The store in the fridge for 30 minutes to harden the mixture. After this, put a small amount of the filling in the round dough. I used my hand to do this because it broke when I used spoon. Top the other half and place into the greased cookie sheet.

To Bake the Cookies:
Pre heat oven to 300 F
Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven.  Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes.

Serve and Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment