Sunday, August 18, 2013

Pork Fried Rice


It is Sunday today and what else do I have to do but do the same thing each day- cook for my clan. As everyone else, weekend is my most favorite part of the week because there is no mad rush in the house. Everybody's just lounging quietly and comfortably. My son is making the most of his privileged computer time, my daughter is writing and reading fan fiction, my husband, I do not know what he is doing, myself, writing and taking pictures for this article today.

Sometimes, I want everyday to be a weekend so that I will know what everyone is doing. I am just trying to be nosy, bored maybe, but I like watching everybody like a hawk. My daughter told me to relax all the time. My son thinks I am a veteran in National Guard, since I always watch if he exceeded his computer time. I  know, I am just a bored housewife. That is why, I needed to do something other than focus on my family.

Yup, my kids are grown up, not dependent on me anymore, so I decided to better start a life on my own. How else should I do that, write a food blog. To be honest, I do not have any idea on how to do this. I am not a good writer nor I am  a skilled photographer and most, I cannot cook fancy foods even if my life depended on it. But I know that to have a food blog, I have to cook the food, write the article and take the pictures . Did I mention that I am not good in all three? In the food department, uhhh,  I  cook simple meals I learned from observing my mom.

As with the other skills and hobby that I was trying to pursue, my husband was supportive. He bought me a very fancy camera. He drove me to buy the  plates. This will be my latest from the long list of hobbies that I want to try and had tried, so  I feel like if I do not stick to this, I am thinking my husband's going divorce me. I'd rather learn or die. I choose the former.

 As you can observe, my blog is very far from being perfect. My pictures are awful, my writing full of grammatical error, but one thing for sure. I am learning a lot. With regards to the grammar, please pardon me. I blame it to where I was born. I did not grow in the US nor English is my first language , so I have a valid excuse, right? But for the spelling,  I am not really sure what to say, since we have spell check. Can I say my spell check does not work?  But really, I do not want to make excuses. I have to get out from my comfort zone and review grammar rules and learn how to spell check. Now, I am watching my grammar and spelling like a hawk. A big diversion from the norm. Just in case you see some errors, which I am certain you will, can you please excuse me?

Currently, I am learning and reading from THE GREATS in food blogger world. The food blog world is so vast that I cannot even make a speckle of it. But write I must, since it is actually fun and also the best way to test my grammar muscles .

To start with that, I am going to share today is another fried rice recipe. I was born in the Philippines, so I eat rice with everything. I eat rice with egg, I eat rice with soy sauce, I eat rice with chicken, I eat rice with bacon. I eat rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So I have left over rice  all the time. I even have a system on how to keep my rice left over: I put it in a container until it will be overflowing, maybe around five to six cups, then I cook fried rice.

I remember when I tried to give up rice for the first time. It was when I was crazy enough and thought that my rice is the reason that I cannot lose weight. So number one on the list was to give up rice cold turkey. Then an imaginable thing happened. I got a rice withdrawal. How is that possible? I was shaking and grouchy all the time. I had headache, I felt dizzy. I NEEDED MYYYY RICE. So I stopped blaming rice for my weight and I scrapped that plan out. Rather than totally giving it up, I eat a little bit of rice in every meal. But giving it up, forget it. 

So here is my other fried rice recipe. Now you know the reason why I cooked fried rice, right? Yup, you are right. My container is already five cups full.


Recipe:

1 lb pork
5  cups cooked rice
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup diced pepper
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water
1/8 cup dark soy sauce



Directions:

Heat oil in a large skillet.
Add and saute' onion until it will look transparent.
Add in pork. Let it brown in both sides. Then add water.
Let the pork cook some more in the water and then wait 'til the water dries up.
Add in rice. Mix rice with the pork.
Add peas and bell pepper
Add 1/8 cup of soy sauce and 1/2 tsp salt.
Continue mixing until seasoning are fully incorporated.

Serve and Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment